August 9


Scripture focus: Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life. Galatians 6:5 (The Message)


I love to study people; I find the human race utterly fascinating.


In my studies, I'm amazed at the peculiar way we humans de-value our natural strengths and talents. Time and again I've watched how we admire the strengths that we observe in others but don't possess – giving them great accolades for their amazing abilities – while taking our own strengths for granted, even minimizing them as "no big deal."


I have a friend who regularly whips up dinner for large numbers of people. She thinks this is normal and natural. Her food is always delicious, homemade and exquisitely presented – and according to the Food Network, all this is very crucial for the enjoyment of the guest. I can feed lots of people too. But I do it by helping the economy flourish – I utilize bakeries and fast food chains, takeout restaurants – whatever it takes to feed my guests. I'm more of a food deliverer than a "hostess with the most-est."


I happen to have musically inclined children. If I try to sing, people ease away from me or put in ear plugs. My kids think perfect pitch and maintaining a regular rhythm and even learning how to play various musical instruments is something anyone can and should do – they simply don't understand that this isn't about me not wanting to play or sing. I simply can't do it.


Maybe that's why Paul reminds us that while we're learning how to take responsibility for ourselves, it will be best if we don't waste time comparing ourselves to each other.


God has a prevailing purpose in mind when he gives my friend the gift of amazing hospitality. God places different gifts and talents in individuals. As a community, we join together and leverage our various strengths to accomplish more than any single individual could ever manage in isolation. To the extent that we can identify and affirm these strengths, that's awesome. But if we find ourselves minimizing our own strengths and envying those given to another – we're probably off track and in need of a tune up.


The only person responsible for discovering and nurturing the strengths and abilities God placed within you is – you. We'd better get busy!



Recommended reading: 1 Kings 1-3


- click on the word comments and join our conversation

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms