August 3


Scripture focus: Keep vigilant watch over your heart; that's where life starts. Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth; avoid careless banter, white lies, and gossip. Keep your eyes straight ahead; ignore all sideshow distractions. Watch your step, and the road will stretch out smooth before you. Look neither right nor left; leave evil in the dust. Proverbs 4:23-27 (The Message)


Spiritual boundaries are profoundly important – they are invisible markers to keep us from running off the road and landing in a ditch. We spend a lot of time at NorthStar Community talking about the "big markers" (according to Jesus) of loving God, and loving others as we love ourselves. These limits/boundaries/markers are good things. Part of the maturation process involves learning the value of limits. Growing up is a process. Testing limits is normal. Learning from them is just plain smart. Unfortunately, I'm not always smart – how about you?


Our son Scott went for his yearly physical when he was around nine or ten years old and the doctor really hurt his feelings. He said to Scott in a joking tone, "Well, are you at that age where you know everything yet?" He was referring to that very normal developmental stage that young boys go through when they think they are the only smart people on the planet, and the rest of us are real dummies. This particular pediatrician did an excellent job at the yearly physical of talking to kids about what they could expect physically, emotionally, and mentally at their age. I loved this as a mom, it was a tutorial for me (and probably we parents were the true intended audience) and I hoped instructional for my kid. But on this day Scott was not a happy camper. He was completely insulted.


As we left the appointment, Scott began to vent. "Can you believe that guy? He doesn't know what he's talking about! Where did he get his degree anyway? Have you checked his credentials? For all I know, he could have gotten his license over the internet. That guy needs to stick with what he knows – whether I have strep throat or not. I definitely, definitely don't think I know everything. But I know this – that guy doesn't know much."


"Maybe you need to tell him how you're really feeling," I suggest.


"No way. Not worth my trouble. He has issues," Scott retorts.


I smile. I can't help it. Something larger than me takes over and I say, "Well, it sounds like you have this all figured out. I guess that doctor just got lucky, since he doesn't know anything, when he figured out you are so smart. Of course, your intelligence is obvious. You probably get it from your mother."


One thing all my children received at birth was the sarcasm gene. Scott turned his head, looked at me, took note of my grin, and gave a slight nod of acknowledgement – he got the point.


Learning our limitations is a good thing; accepting them as healthy and appropriate is a God thing.



Recommended reading: 2 Samuel 7-9


- click on the word comments and join our conversation

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms