Day 279 – Week 40 at a glance

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World

Scripture focus: He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things – and the things that are not – to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him…Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:28, 31 NIV

Inspired by the life of Randy Pausch, I’ve been studying the nature of virtue. Some translations term it “uprightness.” Randy has been an inspiration to many, calling us all to examine our lives and choose to live them exuberantly – and virtuously. (He wouldn’t have used such a high falutin’ term, but I think if you read his book or watch his lecture on YouTube, you’ll see why I’m using it!)

In Randy’s book, he says that sometimes people mistook his confidence and joy for living as cockiness. As he matured, Pausch learned how to live in a way that made him easier to get along with. But he also learned something else – his value as a dreamer.

So, if I may, can I share a dream with you that is about you?

I dream for you the gift of virtue.

I pray that you will become your true God-created identity – and walk upright in the knowledge of your child-of-God status.

I pray that you will not get distracted by the glitter and glam of this life, but instead, learn how to appreciate this life in light of a more eternal perspective.

I pray that you will learn how to give more than you take.

I pray that you will learn how to look at all things and especially people with affection.

I pray that for today, you will choose to treat someone else with kindness, gentleness, and respect. And build on that success tomorrow.

I pray that you will learn how to distinguish between a trail and a tumbleweed.

I have dreams for you! And if I, a mere mortal, can dream such big dreams for you – imagine how many dreams our heavenly Father has in store for us!

You have, amazingly enough, completed 280 days of daily devotedness. Let me know how it’s going!

Recommended reading: Jeremiah 7 and 8 in the morning; Psalm 53 and 54 in the evening




Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms