Day 292 – Joy in strange places

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Scripture focus: Keep me safe, O God, I’ve run for dear life to you. I say to God, “Be my Lord!” Without you, nothing makes sense. And these God-chosen lives all around – what splendid friends they make! Don’t just go shopping for a god. Gods are not for sale. I swear I’ll never treat god-names like brand-names. My choice is you, God, first and only. And now I find I’m your choice! You set me up with a house and yard. And then you made me your heir! The wise counsel God gives when I’m awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart. Day and night I’ll stick with God; I’ve got a good thing going and I’m not letting go. I’m happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I’m firmly formed. You canceled my ticket to hell – that’s not my destination! Now you’ve got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, I’m on the right way. Psalm 16, The Message

There’s another thing I’ve learned about joy – it can’t be managed or pre-planned. It shows up in unexpected places. Big events and grand vacations aren’t usually what trigger my joy-response – although I love parties and hoopla!

Here’s a story of true joy, as told to me by a wonderful friend…

So yesterday I’m sitting outside at Starbucks with my daughter while she worked on homework and I studied McBean and the most amazing thing happened. I think I had a full brain experience. It occurred to me if the past months hadn’t gone down they way they did, I might still be at my old job, doing work I didn’t care about and missing this most awesome moment. This kid, who had been sinking in school for two years is now in a new school being taught by awesome, inspiring, child-building, caring teachers and is now sitting across the table from me asking the coolest, most interesting questions about science. We are discussing Isaac Newton like he was the lead singer of Green Day. And as we continue our studies, this God-breeze blows over me and I know that even though I haven’t always made the best choices, I have taken some important steps along the life path – enough to be able to be fully present for my child and handle her questions. I actually felt very grateful for where I had been!

True joy sometimes springs from struggles. It’s when we stop shopping for a “god” that suits us, and instead, choose to set our hearts on living life God’s way. Along the way, we experience “God-breeze” moments. We realize that once we’ve chosen God, we realize that we’ve always been his choice. He helps us see our inheritance – not trinkets and toys, gold or jewels, prestigious jobs or trendy friends – family, connection and community. We’re more alert during the day and able to rest peacefully at night. My friend has discovered her good life. It showed up in an unscripted moment while doing a seemingly mundane task. May we continue to enjoy and appreciate our good lives!



Recommended reading: Jeremiah 34 and 35 in the morning; 1 Timothy 4 and Psalm 65 in the evening




Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms