Day 288 – On the job training

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Scripture focus: Servants, do what you’re told by your earthly masters. And don’t just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you’ll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being Christian doesn’t cover up bad work. Colossians 3:22-25 The Message

I was standing in a long line at a local discount warehouse store. I had plans to buy my goods and get out of that crazy-crowded store. I had no thoughts of discussing theology. But the guy behind me had other ideas.

“Hey, aren’t you that lady on tv? I’ve got a question for you.”

“Ok.” These are usually interesting interchanges and I brace for what’s coming.

“I used to think you Christians were supposed to be honest people.” Hmmmm…the past tense is a clue…

“Sir, I’d certainly hope so. But if I’m any example at all, I have to tell you – my intention is to tell the truth, all the time. But sometimes I don’t.”

He blinks. “Hmph. Well, I hired this fellow to do some work on my house, and he had one of those Christian symbols on his van and everything. And that guy cheated me bad. Cost me a pile of money. The work still isn’t done. I'm never hiring another guy with a Christian symbol on their van to work for me ever again."

“Sounds like a reasonable decision.” I turn around and start unloading my discount goods.

Lesson nine: Work hard and love your work. The value may be in how you work more than the task at hand.

Here’s some more information on that subject:

We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. 1 Corinthians 4:12-14 NIV

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 NIV

Our orders – backed up by the Master, Jesus – are to refuse to have anything to do with those among you who are lazy and refuse to work the way we taught you. Don’t permit them to freeload on the rest. We showed you how to pull your weight when we were with you, so get on with it. We didn’t sit around on our hands expecting others to take care of us. In fact, we worked our fingers to the bone, up half the night moonlighting so you wouldn’t be burdened with taking care of us. And it wasn’t because we didn’t have a right to your support; we did. We simply wanted to provide an example of diligence, doing it would prove contagious. Don’t you remember the rule we had when we lived with you? “If you don’t work, you don’t eat.” 2 Thessalonians 3:6-10 The Message

Recommended reading: Jeremiah 26 and 27in the morning; 2 Thessalonians 3 and Psalm 61 in the evening



Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms