Day 290 – More fundamentals

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Scripture focus: The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see. The act of faith is what distinguished our ancestors, set them above the crowd. Hebrews 11:1-2 The Message

If you’ve watched Diane Sawyer’s interview with the Pausch’s, do you remember how incredulous Sawyer seemed as Jai reported a real sense of peace about her life? This was not the false peace of denial. Jai explains – “I’m at peace. I don’t like this situation. But I’m at peace.” And when we watch how she maintains eye contact with her interviewer, and we look intently at her calm appearance – we believe her.

She amplifies her decision, when she adds, “I keep reminding myself – I have everything I need.” She nods her head in gentle self-affirmation. She repeats, “I have everything I need.” Again, I hear the word of God…

God, my shepherd!

I don’t need a thing.

You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from.

True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.

Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I’m not afraid when you walk at my side.

Your trusty shepherd’s crook makes me feel secure.

You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies.

You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing.

Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life.

I’m back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.

Psalm 23, The Message

Oh, my friends, if we could only learn how to lean into our own troubling times with a firm commitment to living life God’s way! If only we would commit to taking God’s view of the world! If only we could trust more in him than our current circumstances. If only we could say, in gentle affirmation and truth – “I have everything I need.” I remember Neil Anderson, author of Victory Over Darkness and other great books, say (after his life took a series of twists and turns), “When God was all I had, I realized he was all I needed.” May we all find our way back home – into the house of God – where we are assured that in this place, we have all that we need.

Lesson eleven: Learn how to live with this belief – “I have everything I need.”



Recommended reading: Jeremiah 30 and 31 in the morning; 1 Timothy 2 and psalm 63 in the evening




Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms