Day 291 – True joy

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World



Scripture focus: Keep me safe, O God, I’ve run for dear life to you. I say to God, “Be my Lord!” Without you, nothing makes sense. And these God-chosen lives all around – what splendid friends they make! Don’t just go shopping for a god. Gods are not for sale. I swear I’ll never treat god-names like brand-names. My choice is you, God, first and only. And now I find I’m your choice! You set me up with a house and yard. And then you made me your heir! The wise counsel God gives when I’m awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart. Day and night I’ll stick with God; I’ve got a good thing going and I’m not letting go. I’m happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I’m firmly formed. You canceled my ticket to hell – that’s not my destination! Now you’ve got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, I’m on the right way. Psalm 16, The Message

I used to confuse joy with happiness. Good circumstances, new toys, getting my own way at least some of the time – these things made me happy. But joy is a different kind of emotion. One can experience exquisite joy even in the midst of suffering. I think that is one of Pausch’s greatest gifts to us – that guy knew how to enjoy life!

Last year about this time, I was hanging out in a hospital waiting room with people I love who were suffering. It was the kind of waiting room where oftentimes both joy and happiness happened. This was not going to be the experience for my friends.

We’re sitting there eating off a shared sandwich, when acquaintances show up with good news. Their family came in with a close call and ended up with good news. They recounted their joy. And suddenly, as unexpected as a cool breeze on a steamy hot day, I experienced joy.

As we sat in sorrow, my friend somehow, by the grace of God, managed to be completely present and joyful with this other family. Don’t get me wrong – my friend is practically perfect in many ways – but even I was in awe at her ability to live life God’s way in the midst of her own crisis. This is true joy. This is big believing. It requires a big heart.

Only God can provide the beliefs, thoughts, and behaviors that enable a person to personally grieve and simultaneously rejoice with another who is receiving the same blessing that you’re aware you may not experience yourself.

I have splendid friends. My friends show me how to be happy from the inside out and from the outside in. I think this must be what the author of the Serenity Prayer meant when he said, “So that I can be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with you, forever, in the next.” The ability to rejoice with others is like a ticket stub that reads – “One way ticket to heaven – all aboard!”

Lesson twelve: Learn to live life God’s way, and in so doing – experience joy.



Recommended reading: Jeremiah 32 and 33 in the morning; 1 Timothy 3 and Psalm 64 in the evening




Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms