Day 315 - Week 46 – The feel-good life

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World

Scripture focus: “Let me [Jesus] give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples – when they see the love you have for each other.” John 13:34-35 The Message

We have a new baby in our midst. Tuesday I popped in and cuddled her. I can tell she loves me already! Why? Because I make sure every time I get to hold her, there’s a tiny little bottle filled with delicious, nutritious formula attached to the end of my hand! She stares at me in delight as she slurps down her meal. Soon, her eyes grow heavy. In complete contentment, she settles into my arms. Love, at this moment, feels so good.

Before we know it, she’s going to be toddling around. Eventually, someone (not me!) is going to introduce her to the concept of “No!” Her loving parents will teach her safe from not safe, right from wrong, good from evil, and probably - UNC rules! They will teach her these things because they love her. Love, at this moment, will feel more complicated.

But in either instance, love rules.

Love, while complicated, is motivated by a strong desire for the good life to be bestowed upon the object of our affection. That’s why parents go to amazing lengths so that their children can thrive. Love provides the opportunity for us to sacrifice for the sake of another.

This kind of love produces a satisfying life. It’s complicated, rewarding, and sometimes requires suffering for the cause. But it’s the good life.

Not all love fits this description. When we try to live life getting our own way all the time, our world turns upside down. We begin to live as if the command to love says this: Love me. I’ve done some good stuff for you, now repay me! I want you to be my disciple – show me the love!

Of course, this is not love. This is manipulation. This is relationship with strings attached. This produces a frustrated, unsatisfying life. This kind of love can never satisfy. Because even if the one demanding it finds a stooge willing to try to deliver it – everyone knows it is not the real deal. This kind of relationship never brings peace, joy and contentment.

How do we know whether we’re in the midst of a complicated love relationship, or a world turned upside down? More on this in tomorrow’s devotional.

Recommended reading: Ezekiel 24 and 25 in the morning; Psalm 85 and Proverbs 28 in the evening




Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

name calling..... using shaming words like "stooge" doesn't help an innocent& unfortunate target( my preferred term)develop a backbone(courage) ...Manipulation can be subtle and confusing.This type of attitude might be one of many "reasons" "stooges" won't( avoid being blamed) get out of their isolation and seek the proper help for their complex pain. Where's the compassion? Empathy? Intelligence? Anyone of us can be deceived.
A recovering "stooge"

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms