Day 318 - Adjustments

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World

Scripture focus: “I [God] will make you a great nation and bless you. I’ll make you famous; you’ll be a blessing…All the families of the Earth will be blessed through you.” Genesis 12:2-3 The Message

I’ve never been a big fan of the “fake it ‘til you make it” philosophy of living. In my life, anything I’ve tried to fake ends up revealing itself for a cheap imitation of the real thing – and further complicates my already messy life. But I must admit - there’s something about the principle that bears scrutiny – in a good way.

There’s a difference between faking something in order to make ourselves appear to be someone we’re not, and another, more healthy perspective. Appearance management is all about pretending. Fake boobs and bottoms, hair and eyelashes – all serve to create an illusion. It’s all about covering up a perceived flaw or shortcoming. This is not how we discover the good life. I’ve always wondered about what a woman is thinking when she lives like this. What kind of guy is she trying to attract? And what happens when the layers come off – has a guy ever sued for false advertising? There’s another way, a more helpful way, to think about the “fake it ‘til you make it” philosophy. We could choose to think – and pray - like this.

* I’ve been called by God to love and live in a way that is completely unnatural to me.

* I am powerless over my natural inclinations to make life all about me.

* I have defects of character that I am quite sure make it absolutely impossible for me to be a blessing to others without expecting some sort of payoff for services rendered.

* I acknowledge that my thinking is all topsy turvy – so give me your mind and thoughts on matters of the heart.

* I admit if it’s possible to love your way – okay – but it’s likely that I’ll behave in ways that are self-serving.

Lord, I beg you – remove these defects of character. Make me both willing and able to participate in this miraculous restoration process.

* In the meantime, for this moment of this day, I am going to do my best – which is admittedly not nearly “good enough” if I’m trying to earn my way into heaven – to live according to your principles.

* Thank you, Father - I don’t have to get it perfect, or even all that right. You love me because I’m your kid – not because I can perform up to your standards.

* With that in mind – here I go. Show me the way. Amen

Faced with an opportunity to bless rather than curse, we choose to bless. Given the chance to serve rather than be served, we serve. This causes great consternation, because every fiber in our being wants to be loved, worshipped and served. But that’s all right. We realize that we’re “faking it ‘til we make it.” We’re not surprised by our unwillingness to love like God. We accept the truth that “apart from me [Jesus], you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 NIV) We take this consternation back to the throne of grace and offer it up to God as proof of our need to have his powerful touch remove our defects of character and restore us to sanity. Because it is only in loving like God that life makes sense. It’s only in living life on his terms that we find true sanity and peace of mind. Life lived on God’s terms is very, very satisfying. But no one has laid claim to it being easy!

Recommended reading: Ezekiel 30 and 31 in the morning; Hebrews 12 and Psalm 89 in the evening


Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms