Day 325 – I don’t know where to begin!! – And other lame excuses…

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Scripture focus: God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him. After God made that decision of what his children should be like, he followed it up by calling people by name. After he called them by name, he set them on a solid basis with himself. And then, after getting them established, he stayed with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun. Romans 8:28-30 The Message

People all the time ask me to define “normal” and I usually disappoint them. I don’t know how to define normal!! However, I am learning to let go of that expectation – and instead, think more about restoration. Maybe it’s just me, but some days I don’t know where to start on the renovation project of my life. What “issue” do I tackle first? When I pick an “issue” – why did I pick that particular one? Is it a case of wanting to live my life God’s way – or is it because I want relief from my suffering? Am I self-centered and narcissistic? Or am I committed to life transformation? I’ve discovered that sometimes I’m very skilled at self-deception. This reality is very frustrating!

It’s also a lame excuse.

The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him.” Here’s a principle I’m practicing in all my affairs – when I think about it. I spend time studying the shape of Jesus. I look at his life, study his ways, watch how he interacts with his Father. Along the way, I learn stuff.

I learned that Jesus has aggravating days.

I noticed that all his relationships aren’t perfect. (What about Judas? How about Peter? Do I even need to remind you of the crucifixion?)

I was shocked to discover that Jesus wasn’t always perky. He experienced aggravation, anger and despair.

I couldn’t believe the scene in the Garden of Gethsemane, when Jesus basically asked his dad to let him off the hook and exempt him from the horrible job of dying for our sins. This was no gung-ho guy, running heedlessly into battle without thought or concern for his own well-being. Right before Jesus was entering into his grand epic adventure – he blinked. The world didn’t stop rotating and his father didn’t give him a stern talking to or a smack down. Jesus blinked. But he did not fail.

I discovered that Jesus wasn’t a lone ranger – but always acted in response to the voice of his father. He was supported in his mission, provided everything he needed just in the knick of time.

And in discovering these things – and more – I learn better how to be my true, God-created self. So in a world where sometimes self-reflection turns into self-absorption, I try to spend at least as much time during the day thinking about the life of Christ as I think about my own. He provides me a pattern for living the satisfying life. I don’t have to figure it out for myself. This is a comfort to me, and I pray it comforts you as well.

Recommended reading: Ezekiel 43 and Psalm 98 in the morning; James 5 in the evening


Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms