Day 322 – Week 47 – All or nothing thinking – be gone!

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Scripture focus: What a God we have! And how fortunate we are to have him, this Father of our Master Jesus! Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we’ve been given a brand-new life and have everything to live for, including a future in heaven – and the future starts now! God is keeping careful watch over us and the future. The Day is coming when you’ll have it all – life healed and whole. I know how great this makes you feel, even though you have to put up with every kind of aggravation in the meantime. 1 Peter 1:3-6 The Message

“I just wish I could be normal.” She laments with a tone of defeat. Can you relate?

“What do you think ‘normal’ means?” I ask. She stares at me; I’ve definitely stumped her. This was not my intention, but having begun this line of questioning, we both decide to continue the conversation.

“You know.” She finally retorts.

“No I don’t!” I reply. And it is true.

My husband is what I call a “normal” eater. By that I mean, he weighs about the same all the time, and when he goes to the doctor for his physical, he doesn’t have to take a valium before he steps on the scale. The doctor never peers over his reading glasses and suggests a weight reduction program. The nurse doesn’t “tsk tsk” as she records his weight on the chart. My husband is a “normal” weight.

Sometimes he eats a one pound bag of M&M’s – in a day. Usually he’ll cheerfully confess this fact, making note of how bad he feels as a result of this indulgence. On holidays he eats too much. If we go to a buffet, he always gets his money’s worth. My husband overeats – once in awhile.

The next day, he self-corrects. After a splurge with his beloved M&M’s, I notice how he isn’t interested in dessert for a few days – maybe even a week. After a Sunday brunch buffet, he won’t need a big dinner Sunday evening. It’s as if he has this inner calorie-counter, that adjusts as needed. I find this very annoying about him.

I am an abnormal eater. If I ate a bag of M&M’s, I’d do it in secret. I would never confess it! And the guilt and shame would probably result in more over-indulgence. I might feel compelled to chase the M&M’s with a jar of peanut butter – to assuage my guilt. This is craziness. It’s why I can say to my friend, “No I don’t know what normal means all the time!” – and mean it. What is normal, and how can someone like me, who is “abnormal” in the ways of healthy eating, ever find my way back to “normal”?

I’m pretty sure that part of the solution is eliminating “all or nothing” thinking.

If we want to live a satisfying life – we need to understand that a satisfactory life is NOT a life without aggravation. Aggravation happens in all lives. People mess up. Perfection is unattainable. I’m not suggesting that this is an excuse to minimize our wrongdoing, or fail to take responsibility. Since I know that I have a tendency to eat in an “abnormal” way – I am in recovery for that particular issue. I’m learning how to live consciously with my brokenness, my choices, and also – my hope for renovation. More on this satisfying life tomorrow…

Recommended reading: Ezekiel 38 and 39 in the morning; James 2 and Psalm 94 in the evening


Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

1 comment:

Hzjewl said...

"Normal" refers to those who understand that the concept of "all or nothing" is not necessarily so. I, myself, cannot eat anything with sugar in it without consciously keeping myself away from all other sugary snacks. A lot of times, I don't do well in that area. That's why as I write this, I noshing on a large box of "Gobstoppers." I tell myself it's because they're so good but the fact is that I'm stuffing my twirling emotions with sugary goodness. This from a person who does not put sugar in her coffee or tea or drink regular coffee, yet cannot explain her constant weight gain.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms