Day 321 – Week 46 at a glance

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Scripture focus: But he’s [God] already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in our love, and don’t take yourself too seriously – take God seriously. Micah 6:8 The Message

I used to believe that if I wanted to experience the “good life” (whatever the heck that means) then good things needed to permeate my world. My husband needed to treat me well. My kids needed to behave and make me proud. My neighbors needed to treat me with consideration. My boss needed to appreciate me. My employees needed to do what I wanted – all the time. My bank account needed to steadily increase, as my weight decreased. My friends needed to be fun and perky. My grass needed to always stay green and no weeds could pop up and choke my flowers. I gotta tell you – this kind of life is hard work. A lot of people have to perform to perfection in order to keep me happy in this scenario.

This week we have challenged this view of the satisfying life. And if we’ve read between the lines – we’ve learned something. My “good life” really isn’t about anyone else. How my husband treats me says more about him than me. My kids don’t have to always behave in order for me to be a good mom. Who knows how my neighbors will treat me – but I can treat them with consideration. My boss may or may not appreciate me – but I can work hard, as unto the Lord! My employees don’t need to do what I want in order for me to do what I need to do to fulfill my work obligations. My bank account is not a reflection of my worth – neither is my weight! (Whew!) My friends can sometimes be miserable and wilted – I can still love them with all my heart. People all around me can fail to perform – and I can still live the abundant life.

I hope you’re experiencing relief and delight at this good news! No longer is how I feel dependent upon others. This is awesome news!

You’ve completed three hundred twenty one days with forty five more to go in order to have been desperately devoted readers for an entire year! How awesome are you?

Recommended reading: Ezekiel 36 and 37 in the morning; James 1 and Psalm 93 in the evening




Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms