Day 25

Scripture focus:
She took hold of him and kissed him and with a brazen face she said: “I have fellowship offerings at home; today I fulfilled my vows. So I came out to meet you; I looked for you and have found you! I have covered my bed with colored linens from Egypt. I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon. Come, let’s drink deep of love till morning; let’s enjoy ourselves with love! My husband is not at home; he has gone on a long journey. He took his purse filled with money and will not be home till full moon.” Proverbs 7:13-20 NIV

What is it exactly about this seduction that makes it so….seductive? It isn’t the sheets!

It probably is related to:
* Temporary reduction in anxiety
* Temporary distraction from stress
* Temporary feelings of power/control and well-being
* An opportunity to avoid and address our true feelings
* A way to avoid developmental responsibilities
* A distraction from problems
* Avoidance of intimacy

I bet Pete would prefer that I put on a brazen face, kiss and hold him, and offer him all sorts of opportunities to cavort on colored linens from Egypt. But the real deal is this: our bed is currently piled high with about 16 loads of clothes that need folding. We could take a walk down to the street corner, but we wouldn’t make it and here’s why: our lawn needs water, the grass needs cutting and the rose bushes need a trim.

The only cinnamon we see is what I sprinkle in the oatmeal we eat while swallowing our cholesterol meds and working the daily crossword puzzle in an attempt to keep dementia at bay.

But I will tell you this: life is sweet many (not all) days at our house. Our recovery community continues to teach us how to avoid the long journey of denial and walk the road to recovery. It’s the good life. Not perfect, not without lapses, but good.

May we all find our way back home.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

1 comment:

Chimp said...

In other words fantasy and nothing here is as it seems? Delusion,escape,lies,betrayal, entitlement as I have fulfill my vows ( I would say not the marriage vows) and my husband is not at home, I looked for you and found you, a lie as the dude was wandering aimlessly down the street.

Wondering if the husband has been through this before as he took his purse with the money with him?

A great proverb that we have unpacked during the nsc monday mens group.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms