July 11

Scripture focus:
This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. My eyes pour down unceasingly,without stopping, until the LORD looks down and sees from heaven. My eyes bring pain to my soul because of all the daughters of my city. You have heard my voice, "Do not hide Your ear from my prayer for relief, from my cry for help." Lamentations 3:21, 49-51, 56

Lamentations functions similarly to the lamenting Psalms I discussed in previous entries.

The author cries out to God and expects action.

Interestingly, the author here seems to understand that he/she has some level of responsibility for his/her circumstances. The author mentions the sins of Jerusalem in such places as 1:8, 3:42, 4:13, and 5:7 and seems to indicate personal sin in 1:14 and 18.

One can assume then, that neither an individual nor God can take full responsibility for circumstances. Blaming God and crying out to him may be acceptable, but it is important not to overlook one’s own role in arriving at a particular position. Most of the circumstances mentioned above were matters outside of my control. The one situation over which I did possess some level of control took the harshest toll on my emotions. (At least in the short-term, the grieving process with respect to my grandmother is farther reaching and longer lasting). In my laments to God, I find it important to take responsibility for my actions rather than simply shaking my finger at the clouds. swm



Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

4 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

Is taking responsibility for circumstances what takes the harshest toll on us? Is the harshest toll taken on ourselves simply because we believe we should be better than we are? I know better, I should have been better, I should have done better. Having lost a parent 10 years ago, I can say for me grieving is still there just different. I started grieving my loss with a tear and today I grieve my loss with a smile. For me today I grieve the things I know he would have enjoyed and we could have shared. The smile crosses my face as I know he is aware. "In my laments to God, I find it important to take responsibility for my actions rather than simply shaking my finger at the clouds." well said....God Bless Yall

Scotty said...

I think perhaps the point I was making with that particular statement, more so than taking responsibility, was the simple realization that my most gaping wound was self-inflicted. I think taking responsibility is the next step, which often follows the, "Oh crap, this hurts, and I can't blame anyone else" stage.

chip said...

Scott,

Wanted to take a moment to thank you for coming forward in a way that we can see your human personality. I have seen you in many nsc mens meetings but somewhat perplexed that I cannot recall hearing you speak. I was at the Sunday service when "I felt" your mother was "introducing you to us" when the two of you sat side by side talking to us and to each other at the elementary school. I waited hopefully through this week of your sharing for you to step from behind your blog so that we could see the real you rather than the articulate blog author. After signing on this evening I went back through the past week's posts and am currently feeling a very human connection to you as opposed to "object blogger machine" if that makes any sense.

I feel a level of gratitude that I am in the place of my journey, much of the spiritual growth in Christ at nsc, to have a level of understanding and appreciation of what you have laid out for us through your life changing experience in scripture. I have personal knowledge and experience on both sides of the the type of betrayal that you laid out for us during this series and an appreciation of what it takes to man up and walk through it rather than walking away from the carnage created by our willfullness. Our Father has given us the option of choice.

Great series.

Blessings to you.
Chip

Scotty said...

Hey Chip,

Thanks so much for your comment. It has been really surprising/humbling to see all of the different responses to this little project. Truth be told- I didn't know other people could comment on this until mom said, "Hey, the comments are starting to pile up, you should probably start responding to some of these." It's been a real pleasure to be able to log on and see people asking questions, and interact, rather than just sending these devotionals into some kind of an online abyss.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms