July 9

Scripture focus:
My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning. O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer; and by night, but I have no rest. Yet You are holy, O You who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel. In You our fathers trusted; they trusted and You delivered them. To You they cried out and were delivered; in You they trusted and were not disappointed. But I am a worm and not a man, a reproach of men and despised by the people. All who see me sneer at me; they separate with the lip, they wag the head, saying, "Commit yourself to the LORD; let Him deliver him; let Him rescue him, because He delights in him."

Yet You are He who brought me forth from the womb; You made me trust when upon my mother's breasts. Upon You I was cast from birth; you have been my God from my mother's womb. Be not far from me, for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
Psalm 22:1-11

Somewhere along the line I constructed a theology which protects God, though it seems abundantly clear now that he neither needs nor desires my protection.

Surely God does not care to hear me whine about my problems.

I remember how I desired to explain to people after such instances as the shooting that took place while I was at Virginia Tech that God was not responsible.

Ultimately, I was afraid of the reality that God does possess some level of responsibility during times of suffering. The Psalms illustrate that while human sinfulness may act as the most immediate cause of a given circumstance, God ultimately possesses the power to intervene.
Because he has this power, the Psalms indicate that it is okay to cry out and request this intervention, or even more drastically, to assess blame.

Prior, I found myself too invested in maintaining God’s appearance as one above reproach to allow myself to fully relate and engage him in this way.

The Psalms and my prayer life took on new vitality as I began to pray them myself rather than reading them simply as another person’s prayers. Not only do these Psalms indicate that lament serves as an acceptable form of prayer, but they also contain hope and an expectancy of God’s action. swm

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

4 comments:

hzjewl said...

What a relief to know that as David did many times, we too can cry out, repent, and ask the Lord to rescue us.

I Might be Wrong said...

Please expand on God's responsiblity in the events at Tech. Could he have prevented it? Could He have stopped Eve fron taking the apple? Is He to blame for mans fall from grace? Is the answer to all three yes? I believe He could have stopped any and all of these events. Will I ever know why they all happened ? Could it be as simple as all these things have to happen to bring people back to Him? Thank You for making me think. God Bless yall

Scotty said...

I might be wrong- I don't think there is necessarily a simple answer to any of these questions. I personally believe God has the capacity to do anything, therefore, he had the capacity to intervene at Tech and did not. Why? Who knows. I have an inkling that the answer is similar to the one posed about Eve. I think the question, "Is God to blame for man's fall from grace?" is a great one- but it requires a careful reading of scripture. I do not believe the creation story indicates that mankind existed in a perfect state prior to the fall. If man (and woman) had the option to knowingly disobey God (by eating from the tree) they had the capacity to sin, and thus were not in a "perfect" state. Correct? So God created man with freedom built in, and gave them the capacity to make choices even when it hurts us, or Him. So we have to live with the consequences of our actions, something we see in Adam and Eve, and something we continue to see in modern events, such as the Virginia Tech shootings.

hzjewl said...

I agree with you Scott. God was gracious enough to give us free will to do right and wrong; and He's also given us grace to live with those choices.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms