July 6

Scripture focus:
All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this was my reward for all my labor. Ecclesiastes 2:10

These themes of wisdom and responsibility continue in the book of Ecclesiastes. Chapter two speaks to the difficulty of seeking satisfaction through self-indulgence while reminding readers of the importance and the benefits of pleasing God.

During my season of distress, I have taken the time to read and pray and reflect upon what’s really going on with me. I cannot claim that I exerted much effort into pleasing God in any area of life.

However, I find relief in chapter nine of Ecclesiastes where the author writes that there is a time and season for everything. I understand that, in some ways, I have not behaved up to these standards of wisdom seen in scripture.

Although I can’t find much good in myself at the moment, I cannot ignore the gratitude I feel for the temporary nature of my consequences. Time and the support of my community have provided me with a little perspective. This story could have ended up a lot worse; I could have gotten the object of my desire. I suppose that it is common sense to know that time has a way of moving on, but seeing it explicitly written in scripture proves comforting. There is a time and a season for everything... swm

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms