July 8

Scripture focus:
Why do You stand afar off, O LORD? Why do You hide Yourself in times of trouble? In pride the wicked hotly pursue the afflicted; Let them be caught in the plots which they have devised. For the wicked boasts of his heart's desire, and the greedy man curses and spurns the LORD. The wicked, in the haughtiness of his countenance, does not seek Him all his thoughts are, "There is no God." His ways prosper at all times; your judgments are on high, out of his sight; as for all his adversaries, he snorts at them. 6He says to himself, "I will not be moved; throughout all generations I will not be in adversity." His mouth is full of curses and deceit and oppression; under his tongue is mischief and wickedness. He sits in the lurking places of the villages; in the hiding places he kills the innocent; his eyes stealthily watch for the unfortunate. He lurks in a hiding place as a lion in his lair; He lurks to catch the afflicted; He catches the afflicted when he draws him into his net. He crouches, he bows down, and the unfortunate fall by his mighty ones. He says to himself, "God has forgotten; He has hidden His face; He will never see it." Arise, O LORD; O God, lift up Your hand do not forget the afflicted. Why has the wicked spurned God? He has said to himself, "You will not require it." You have seen it, for You have beheld mischief and vexation to take it into Your hand.

The unfortunate commits himself to You; You have been the helper of the orphan. Break the arm of the wicked and the evildoer, seek out his wickedness until You find none. The LORD is King forever and ever; nations have perished from His land. O LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will strengthen their heart, You will incline Your ear to vindicate the orphan and the oppressed, So that man who is of the earth will no longer cause terror.
Psalm 10

The catalyst for my season of self-reflection began with a broken heart skillfully pierced on the night before I flew home to visit my grandmother who was in the process of dying unexpectedly in the hospital. I also found out the day prior that my rooming situation was changing and I had no promising leads on a new home. And my car broke down. And my computer crashed. Each of these situations on its own may have been somewhat manageable, but I found the combination overwhelming. I needed to cry out to God but I would not allow myself to do so. Have you ever resisted a good cry out to God? swm

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, most certainly. I am trying to find my way back to God, but that is no easy task. Since I don't feel that He hears me, what is the point? My life has been lived bringing all that I do before God, trusting in Him for the direction and wisdom I need, BUT He is allowing me this season of despair regardless. All the cicumstances surrounding me are nothing more than a result of living on this earth; however, I have EXPECTED my God to deliver me and help me...He hasn't.

emotional girl said...

crying out to God has become easier as I get older, but feeling overwhelmed and inadequate are my patterns of despair, so I have had to learn a different lesson - God does not abandon me though He may be silent and the help and comfort I seek may not come as quickly as I'd like, in times like these I need to remember His promises and practice faith as a discipline, even as I type this it doesn't sound right to me, but there it is, it is the practice of living as if - as if I do believe when everything around me is crumbling, it becomes an opportunity for God to grow me up...do I like it...never, but as I get older I have this frame of reference that is a reflection of all the ways He as been at work - ways, if He had consulted me, I would have said no thank you...and yet His ways are not mine...they are so much better than

hzjewl said...

It is during times of combined chaos that I cannot journal. Writing is how I cry out to God. All my thoughts are a scattered mess so the most I can do is think and re-think the situations and try my hardest not to fall into the emotional intoxication I so easily recognize.

Cry Out said...

Resist not, evil. Resist not, trying to not do whatever I dont want to do.

Why, because I am still giving all my energy to that thing I dont want to do.

I usually close my prayers with Thy will not mine be done.

My will got me to the brokeness that brought me to a place like NSC searching. I believe because HE tells me in HIS word that HE will not give me more than I can handle and will provide away out.

HE can handle my anger and frustration at HIM. He knows my brokeness and listens to the sound of my pain. Could he be honoring it too?

Belief=faith demonstrated over and over. We are to pray expectantly having faith that HE will deliver us.

Scotty said...

Anonymous- I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've experienced. It may provide you with some level of comfort to spend some time in the book of Job, which addresses this very issue. Job was viewed as an upright and blameless man before God and was tested in spite of this. I think this story demonstrates for us that we base our faith on what God does for us. Job did nothing wrong in the eyes of God and yet calamity fell upon him. Our faith is not one based on a rewards system for good deeds but instead upon God's grace in saving us from our own nature. So, as bad as this may sound, I suspect that sometimes these struggles come BECAUSE you've brought your life before God, as a way of preventing the faith relationship from becoming something that is based only on what we can get out of it.

I sincerely hope things improve for you.

Scott

Scotty said...

Sorry- should read "I think this story demonstrates for us that we DO NOT base our faith on what God does for us."

Anonymous said...

A thought to Annonymous:I too have been raised in the church. Knowing that belief in God and His Unconditional Love is based on FAITH that He will deliver us through MERCY He forgives us for our errors and bad choices. This does not mean that we are free from 'despair and pain' when WE turn OUR ways and eyes from God in order to fulfill our 'earth-boundness' desires. There has been and always will be consequences for bad decisions and choices we make and I have made many over the years and God has definately let the consequences fall upon me but I KNOW this does not mean that He no longer loves me it just means He wants me to SEE the error of my ways, repent (hence His Mercy) and refrain from 'temptations'. Once I have learned and truely learn from my mistakes I BELIEVE God will again begin to restore my blessings that He has bestowed upon me so graciously in the past. When we get involved in our Earthliness we turn our eyes and heart from God even tho we know right from wrong. Do we not discipline our children and GROUND them or take away their favorite things when they disobey? This does not mean we don't. Love them jus disappointed and want them to learn a lesson. We too are God's children and He gets disappointedin us from time to time.
I thank God for His mercy and unconditional love fully knowing they are so very real. I too have felt like a Job, behaved like a David, cried like Mary, run like Jonah, totally disobey like Eve and followed knowing the consequences like Adam but I know if God can hear a murderer being crucified next to Jesus He hears me.
I'm sure you are waiting for God to 'reveal and deliver' but have faith and do not despair for He IS there and He IS listening you just need to....BE PATIENT, GOD'S TIMING IS ALWAYS PERFECT.
Keep praying and He will keep listening.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms