July 17

Scripture focus:
Then Job answered the LORD and said,
"I know that You can do all things,
And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.
'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?'
"Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand,
Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know."
'Hear, now, and I will speak;
I will ask You, and You instruct me.'
"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;
Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes."
Job 42:1-6

I find it easy to live out my faith in a complacent fashion. I find it particularly easy to absolve myself of any responsibility as I prepare for ministry within the context of seminary. Perhaps on a subconscious level it seems like I am devoting the rest of my life to God and as long as I limit the flagrancy of my offenses against him then I am relatively in the clear. The study of scripture has served as a humbling reminder of my existence both in relationship to him and the larger context of the Christian community.

On an individual level, these scriptures provided me with a more refined view of the interplay between wisdom and emotion while further providing a framework for re-learning how to interact with God in prayer. I desire to stay in close contact with God through prayer and study so as to provide myself with the best possible opportunity to interact wisely. While the importance of the individual nature of my relationship with God should not be underscored, these scriptures further serve as a much-needed reminder than I exist as a small piece of God’s creation. His interaction with creation is not limited to answering my prayers. Also, the way God relates to people and creation often remains mysterious. In the past, this realization served as something which I used to distance myself from him, and now it draws me close.
May you be drawn close in whatever circumstance you find yourself today. swm

This concludes Scott’s portion of the July devotional study. If you’d like to ask Scott questions or offer up a personal comment or two, you can reach Scott through the NSC website (info@northstarcommunity.com). Our administrator will happily forward all your personal inquiries to him!


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

2 comments:

hzjewl said...

I endeavor to remember that I are not the center of the universe to anyone, least of all myself, but God.

Thank you for filling in for your Mom, Scott. Hopefully, you can come back again for a longer period of time.

Chimp said...

Scott,

Thank you for this series and your transparency regarding a situation that needs to be discussed but often P.C. dictates that we do not mention this type of thing.

Wish you well.

Chip

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms