Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World

Day 172 - The problem with appearances

Scripture focus: But the Master said to him, "I know you Pharisees burnish the surface of your cups and plates so they sparkle in the sun, but I also know your insides are maggoty with greed and secret evil. Stupid Pharisees! Didn't the One who made the outside also make the inside? Turn both your pockets and your hearts inside out and give generously to the poor; then your lives will be clean, not just your dishes and your hands." Luke 11:39-41 The Message

My grandmother took her skin care very seriously. Back in the day when sunning soaked in baby oil was the rage, my grandma wore wide-brimmed hats and sat in the shade. She spent a lot of time in the only bathroom in her house caring for her skin. She swore by Pond's cold cream. She never left home without it. As she aged, so did her skin. In spite of her best efforts, age ravaged her soft, creamy white complexion. Age spots and dry skin were her nemesis.

If her life goal was appearance management, my grandmother failed.

She mourned the loss of her beautiful complexion. But when I looked at her, I didn't notice her skin. I was dazzled by her heart. Mama aged graciously. Using her time wisely, she pursued the good life and ended up living one. She knew how to keep a confidence and sit with the suffering. She never judged others.

Responsible in all her ways, no one had to pick up her slack. Humble enough to know when to ask for help, she made the inevitable losses that come with age seem like minor inconveniences. She gave up driving before she had an accident or made my mother fret needlessly. (There was this one little incident when she led the police on a wild and very slow chase through the streets of North Durham. But I guess when you try to live right, it's hard to believe that the police are in hot pursuit.)

My grandmother liked a burnished cup as much as anyone I know. But she also paid attention to her insides. She turned out her pockets and her heart. She took care of her body like it was a temple, but she did it so that her body would be sturdy so that she could give generously of herself to others - especially me.

I believe with all my heart that my grandmother pleased her Master. Appearances are no match for the authentic life. Everyone knows appearances can be deceiving. I suppose that's why people don't see our outward appearance - when others look at us, they see our heart.

Recommended reading: 1 Kings 20 and 21 in the morning; Acts 13 and Psalm 137 in the evening

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms