September 12
Scripture focus: An honest answer is like a warm hug. Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)
I don't know how it happened, but I ended up with a copy of Oprah Magazine delivered to my house. Although there were tons of good, interesting articles, I was particularly taken by an article written by Martha Beck on addiction to approval. She wove a beautiful tale about a friend who was an approval junkie, and told of her journey from dependence on other people's flattery to freedom to accept herself whether or not the masses clapped in adoration at her every move.
Admittedly, I do not like it when Pete tells me that yes, indeed, those pants make me look fat. Although he will not lie, even when it seems that it is in his best interest, his words of affirmation are made all the more sweet because I know they can be counted on. They are sincere. If Pete tells you he thinks you did a good job, trust me, you did a good job. I have come to appreciate the fact that I'm married to a man who is both constitutionally incapable of flattery and unkindness. If you've ever been the blessed recipient of a truth encounter with my husband, I bet you agree with me. He's the only person I know who can speak a tough truth and the recipient walks away feeling grateful (eventually). Living with him is like being wrapped in a perpetual warm hug.
Flattery is easy to hear but hard to swallow.
Honesty paired with grace is a beautiful thing.
Be that guy (or gal) -- willing to speak, eager to hear an honest answer today.
Recommended reading: 2 Chronicles 34-36

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!
© Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms