September 25
Scripture focus: I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:12-13 (NIV)
God meets our needs and lots of our wants.
Unfortunately, we often use our circumstances to determine our level of contentment and judge whether or not we are pleasing God. When life is peachy, it's easy to assume that God is great and so are we. However, when hard times hit, it's easy to judge self and others like Job's friends judged him -- if we suffer, somehow this must be our fault. We've displeased God and he's smacking us down.
Paul reminds us that our situation is not necessarily the best way to assess our relationship with God.
I suppose that's why I am so adamant about reminding myself that trusting God is far more important than trying to please him. I can trust God whether I'm in want or plenty. I can trust God whether I'm naughty or nice. This rock solid foundation inspires me to please him.
I absolutely desire to please God. I understand and embrace the charge God has given us to "work out our salvation" (Philippians 2:12) -- not because I fear that if I don't he'll zap me. I am challenged to do so "with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12) because it is an awe-inspiring reality to come to understand that God doesn't have a Plan B. He's handed us the mantle of responsibility to get out his message of hope to hurting people.
I want to live in a fiscally responsible way; I am committed to my marriage; I try to learn how to be a better mom, friend, and worker every single day -- not because I fear punishment but because I am wowed by the opportunity and privilege of carrying the message.
Each of us has been given a story. Our story is uniquely ours but our mission is not. Together, we weave our stories together for the purpose of telling God's story. Once lost, now found, so go and lend a hand. Paul's promise to each of us is this -- we can do everything through him who gives us strength.
He doesn't promise us success. He doesn't provide a no hassle guarantee. He does provide us the privilege of living responsibly. God's great command to love him, others and self brings with it the opportunity to experience a purposeful life.
May we go and do today, the next right thing.
Recommended reading: Job 1 - 3
Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!
© Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms