September 4
Scripture focus: It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. Romans 7:21-22 (The Message)
More than once I've had to break up a fight between a husband and wife who are confused about the recovery principle of powerlessness and the boundary principle of taking responsibility for one's emotions, attitudes and behaviors. I understand the confusion and hope today's devotion might start some good conversation among us about these two seemingly contradictory concepts.
The first step of the 12-step process allows the participant the opportunity to admit that they are powerless over their addiction -- Romans 7 stuff. It's an essential first step in the recovery process. But that doesn't mean we are powerless over everything!
In fact, one of the first steps out of bondage toward freedom is to take responsibility for those parts of our life that we are absolutely, positively powerless over. This powerlessness is evidenced by unmanageability.
We may not know how to take a chaotic life and restore order, but we can do this: we can take responsibility for our current situation by admitting that we have an unmanageable life and areas of powerlessness that overcome us on a regular basis. More on what we can take responsibility for tomorrow.
Recommended reading: 2 Chronicles 9 - 11

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!
© Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

1 comment:

Hzjewl said...

I can admit that I am powerless over my messiness and forgetfulness. I am however on the road to management of them if not recovery from them.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms