December 10

Scripture focus:
When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him. The son started his speech: 'Father, I've sinned against God, I've sinned before you; I don't deserve to be called your son ever again.' But the father wasn't listening. He was calling to the servants, 'Quick. Bring a clean set of clothes and dress him. Put the family ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Then get a grain-fed heifer and roast it. We're going to feast! We're going to have a wonderful time! My son is here—given up for dead and now alive! Given up for lost and now found!' And they began to have a wonderful time. "All this time his older son was out in the field. When the day's work was done he came in. As he approached the house, he heard the music and dancing. Calling over one of the houseboys, he asked what was going on. He told him, 'Your brother came home. Your father has ordered a feast—barbecued beef!—because he has him home safe and sound.' "The older brother stalked off in an angry sulk and refused to join in. His father came out and tried to talk to him, but he wouldn't listen. The son said, 'Look how many years I've stayed here serving you, never giving you one moment of grief, but have you ever thrown a party for me and my friends? Then this son of yours who has thrown away your money on whores shows up and you go all out with a feast!' "His father said, 'Son, you don't understand. You're with me all the time, and everything that is mine is yours—but this is a wonderful time, and we had to celebrate. This brother of yours was dead, and he's alive! He was lost, and he's found!'" Luke 15:20-32 The Message

The father in today's scripture focus had two boys who clearly had some issues with the concept of "father." I love how those boys' "issues" didn't deter their dad. He loved them. He loved each of them as was called for based on circumstance and temperament type. He loved lavishly. He didn't hold back his love from either boy.

Those two sons didn't understand this abundant loving. And it's possible that you and I sometimes get confused about how we relate to Father God as well.

May your spirit cry out for further understanding, so that today you may receive the gift of God's undivided attention in a way that refreshes your spirit.

Recommended reading: Amos 6 - 10


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



2 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

Today I pray for understanding of his word. I thought "if you turn your back HE turns his" was bad. It seems Amos is telling the story, that if you turn your back GOD will destroy you. It also appears that HE is counting sins and keeping score. If Amos was telling my story I might have felt that God was letting me get distroyed or believed that he was counting sins and keeping score. The blessing will not return to land till all the sinners have been thrown out? It appears that blessings will flow like wine from the mountains, who's left to be blessed if all the sinners are gone. I am only aware of ONE without sin, I am guessing that Amos is before the time of Christ. This is not the God of my understanding today, or might I just like the vision or knowledge to understand. I know I have a lot to learn about who God is, I ask for the ability to find the truth of the message and not to get lost in the words on the page. God Bless

Anonymous said...

"beneath the respectable surface of material prosperity, amos uncovers the decaying mass of religious formalism and spiritual corruption." (arnold c. schultz, th.d) the message of amos is to a nation that has turned from their G-d and His words. paul notes that this very nation/people "...are entrusted with the oracles of G-d." (romans 3:2),and in romans 11:29 further emphasizes that "...the gifts and call of G-d are irrevocable." amos is describing the cost of ignoring the gifts and call. i think sometimes getting 'lost' in the words on the page, for me, is the way to find the truth of the message. in matthew 4:4 Jesus says "it is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of G-d." in john 8:32 we are reminded by Jesus that "if you continue in My word, you are truly My disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." in matthew 10:24-25 Jesus describes discipleship this way; "a disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master; it is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master." my prayer is not to lose sight that love is the power in G-d's word. i long to see the day in recovery when the 'church' can pray "...grant to thy servants to speak Thy word with all boldness, while Thou stretchest out Thy hand to heal and signs and wonders are performed through the Name of thy holy servant Jesus." (acts 4:20-30)a.'nanny'mouse

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms