December 28

Scripture focus:
But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don't take yourself too seriously— take God seriously. Micah 6:8 The Message

If you feel as if 2009 was a bust in terms of belief, it won't be long until you have a new year to give believing another try. Here's a suggestion that once worked for me.

Long ago, when faced with my own messy unbelief mixed with faithful church attendance, I decided to take God seriously.

I didn't wait until I believed perfectly.

I stopped anticipating a feeling of desire to take God seriously.

I just decided: I'm going to take God seriously for one year. If at the end of the year, I'm still unsure about all this God stuff, I will feel as if I have earned the right to grow permanently and unapologetically forgetful of God and all things God-related.

So every day for 365 days I woke up and said, "If I took God seriously, what would I do today?"

Can I share with you that it was the most delightful, simple, focused, joy-filled, confusing, not-people-pleasing year of my entire life?

Try it. I double-dog dare you. On January 1st, you could give this a shot for 365 days. Next year this time, you can assess the experiment and decide for yourself in whom to put your trust.

Recommended reading: Revelation 6 – 9; Psalm 146 - 147


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms