December 7

Scripture focus: While they were saying all this, Jesus appeared to them and said, "Peace be with you." They thought they were seeing a ghost and were scared half to death. He continued with them, "Don't be upset, and don't let all these doubting questions take over. Look at my hands; look at my feet—it's really me. Touch me. Look me over from head to toe. A ghost doesn't have muscle and bone like this." As he said this, he showed them his hands and feet. They still couldn't believe what they were seeing. It was too much; it seemed too good to be true. He asked, "Do you have any food here?" They gave him a piece of leftover fish they had cooked. He took it and ate it right before their eyes. Then he said, "Everything I told you while I was with you comes to this: All the things written about me in the Law of Moses, in the Prophets, and in the Psalms have to be fulfilled." He went on to open their understanding of the Word of God, showing them how to read their Bibles this way. He said, "You can see now how it is written that the Messiah suffers, rises from the dead on the third day, and then a total life-change through the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed in his name to all nations—starting from here, from Jerusalem! You're the first to hear and see it. You're the witnesses. What comes next is very important: I am sending what my Father promised to you, so stay here in the city until he arrives, until you're equipped with power from on high." Luke 24:36-49 The Message

I was a doubting Teresa last month.

Our daughter has moved back into our home town – and we are so thrilled. I can't tell you the joy I have discovered in the luxury of time that we have together since she's moved close to home. We can grab lunch without having to hit the highway to do so. We can take an hour out of the day and shop without having to sync our calendars or take a vacation day from our jobs. This is the good life!

We agreed to take advantage of our new geographical closeness and decided to spend an afternoon scouring consignment stores for items to decorate her new home. On the way to pick her up, I drove over a bridge and gazed over the side, noticing the beauty of our local river and the way the sun kissed it. Even Mother Nature appeared to join me in celebration.

Out of nowhere, came this thought: "Joy is fleeting. This will not last."

My British friend might describe this as a moment when I felt gobsmacked. Like the disciples in Luke's account, I find myself falling back into old habits of unbelief, doubting that God's love for me can be trusted. They still couldn't believe what they were seeing. It was too much; it seemed too good to be true.

I did not allow my thoughts to overcome my belief, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bit of a wrestling match. Spiritual renewal is like that. Don't be surprised if you find yourself gobsmacked as you find your way back to God.

Recommended reading: 1 Timothy 1 - 6

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


1 comment:

I Might be Wrong said...

1 Timothy 4 6-10 "Exercise daily in God—no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." I have found S.E.L.F. in Timothy. The work I do today prepares me for tomorrows battles. I think the reading today is about a balanced spritual life. This is something I so crave to find this balance between what I believe and who I am. The day these two meet will be a day for celebration. With every step on this journey I get closer to that meeting. Today I ask for the clearity of vision to see who I am and not who I believe me to be. God knows I am more than I believe.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms