December 3

Scripture focus:
You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. Matthew 5:3 The Message

Trusting God will require us to take responsibility for learning the ways of God. Discovering all that we can about who God is, what he cares about and how he demonstrates love will be an essential building block if we're ever going to construct our spiritual houses on firm ground. A flawless performance means absolutely nothing to God. So why do we keep striving for one? Is it because we love God, or because we want everyone to love, worship, and serve us? We hate our spiritual brokenness. But what we love and what we hate really isn't the point once we make a decision to let go and let God. So, what is the point?

Food for thought
  • If we desire a blessed life – and who doesn't – then it sounds like we're going to have to be a people who can own up to the shattered, tattered and torn parts of our life.
  • What could you do this week that would allow you to let go of your need and desire to perform perfectly?
  • How does it change your thoughts, words, actions and beliefs if you accept the principle as truth that when we tell the truth about being at the end of our rope we actually receive more of God?

Recommended reading: Hosea 1 - 5

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



3 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

Last night I heard someone ask another "How long did it take to become so wise? I have been asks this as before as well and like the person who answered last night do not concider myself wise, just look at my spelling. I believe that willingness to be honest about who we are and where we have come without all the details can make others think we are wise. I am very uncomfortable when told I am wise, my life has been a very expensive continuing education program. Sharing what I know is easy and seems smart until you understand the price that wisdom came with.I have been at the end of my rope more times than I care to count and pray for the day that letting go comes as naturally as holding on. The more I trust the easier letting go is becoming but it is not my nature to just let go. This is my answer to being wise the person that was asked has their answer. If they happen to read this I want them to know that they have been a god send in my life and I concider them wise beyond their years. I know this wisdom has come with a price. In my eyes your freedom in sharing who you are, were you have been,good, bad , and uncomfortable is what not only makes you wise but a God send to me.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting. It is a good reminder about how the process works.

What I took from this passage today is that I need to surrender more. I guess I'm not surrendering everything and maybe that is why I am having trouble growing clsoer to God.

Anonymous said...

You certainly said it better than it was said last night!! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful sentiment. It reminds me that the thing that binds us together as a community isn't our brains, but our hearts. And it redefines for me the saying "love is blind" - moving it from a romance-filled sentiment that reeks of denial to a place of unconditional love with the capacity to tell ourselves the truth about our messy ways. t

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms