December 8

Scripture focus: While they were saying all this, Jesus appeared to them and said, "Peace be with you." They thought they were seeing a ghost and were scared half to death. He continued with them, "Don't be upset, and don't let all these doubting questions take over. Look at my hands; look at my feet—it's really me. Touch me. Look me over from head to toe. A ghost doesn't have muscle and bone like this." As he said this, he showed them his hands and feet. They still couldn't believe what they were seeing. It was too much; it seemed too good to be true. He asked, "Do you have any food here?" They gave him a piece of leftover fish they had cooked. He took it and ate it right before their eyes. Then he said, "Everything I told you while I was with you comes to this: All the things written about me in the Law of Moses, in the Prophets, and in the Psalms have to be fulfilled." He went on to open their understanding of the Word of God, showing them how to read their Bibles this way. He said, "You can see now how it is written that the Messiah suffers, rises from the dead on the third day, and then a total life-change through the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed in his name to all nations—starting from here, from Jerusalem! You're the first to hear and see it. You're the witnesses. What comes next is very important: I am sending what my Father promised to you, so stay here in the city until he arrives, until you're equipped with power from on high." Luke 24:36-49 The Message


In yesterday's devotional, I told of a random moment in time when some unconscious false believing rose to the surface of my awareness. The experience was startling but not life defining. It didn't cause me to doubt God or amazingly enough, myself!


After the dust settled and I found my way back to belief, I realized that one of the most helpful tools in my spiritual renewal tool belt was discussed in Luke 24. He went on to open their understanding of the Word of God, showing them how to read their Bibles this way.


I am so thankful for the word of God.


It's true, I am not always aware of my own unbelief. But it is also true that I am sometimes aware of how God is increasing my understanding and belief as I peer intently into his word -– day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. (Yikes! At my age I have to add decade after decade.)


Frankly, some days my scripture study feels dry as a bone. Spiritual renewal isn't always obvious. May we all continue to take the next right step, allowing our trust in God to inform our discipline of study – not our own self-assessment of how our program is working.


Recommended reading: 2 Timothy 1 - 4


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



7 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

I think I might be missing something here:
"If we die with him, we'll live with him; (I get this)
If we stick it out with him, we'll rule with him;(I get this)
If we turn our backs on him, he'll turn his back on us;( Really?)
If we give up on him, he does not give up— for there's no way he can be false to himself."( I get this) I guess you can tell I am having trouble with the thrid line " If we turn our backs on him, he'll turn his back on us". All the years I live with a turned back who was watching over me if not Him? This seems to be the reverse of what I have been learning since my recovery began. While this does not shake what I believe, I am confused as to why Paul feels that way? Did not Peter turn his back on Jesus 3 times and His love and blesing did not change. While at times I really struggle with the words written in His book, I do find things I know to be true."There's nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God's way. Is I get. God Bless

Anonymous said...

RAndom thoughts - without much reflection, just wondering kinds of things:
-Could the writer be saying that when we turn our backs on God, it feels like he turns our back on us? Sort of the mixing in of belief and unbelief - theology and experience - in a very honest, real kind of portrayal of the experiencing of believing? In other words, it is with the clarity of hindsight that we become aware that God has us in the palm of his hand - but what was it like 22 years ago? Did it feel like that then?
-Another random thought: IS it possible that this is an emotional description of non-codependency? In other words, if we choose to turn our back on God, it may feel as if he has done the same - because he is respectful of our choice. He doesn't go into freakout mode, and try to compel us to return to him. He lets us have our experience. In theological fact - we don't escape his notice for a second. But also, he allows the reaping and sowing process to be just that: a process. Of course, I may disagree with myself on all this tomorrow....t

Anonymous said...

"if we deny Him, He also will deny us" (I Timothy 2:12)which is also in line with Jesus saying "but as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me." (Luke 19:27) "not every one who says to me 'Lord, Lord' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21) the issue is denial, continually. Ezekiel 33:11, "say to them says the Lord G-d, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live;..." and Jeremiah 31:18 "Thou hast chastened me, and i was chastened, like an untrained calf; bring me back that I may be restored, for thou art the Lord my G-d." Jesus came to turn us as Peter says "therefore gird up your minds, be sober, set your hope fully upon the grace that is coming to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. as obedient children, do not be conformed to the passsions of your FORMER ignorance, but as He who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; since it is written 'you shall be holy, for I am holy." (I Peter 1:13-16) and holiness for us is surrender and His life in us growing as our surrender grows. in that, He is the author and finisher of our faith. Psalms is a marvelous place to live, when we have a hard time describing our feelings, when we struggle with understanding. "when my soul was embittered, when i was pricked in heart, i was stupid and ignorant, i was like a beast toward Thee. nevertheless i am continually with Thee; Thou dost hold my right hand. Thou dost guide me with Thy counsel, and afterward Thou wilt receive me to glory." (Psalms 73:21-24) Continue on with verses 25-28. my heart soared as i read that passage. a.'nanny'mouse

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but...I am so curious about people writing G-d. What does that mean? Why write that instead of God? Thanks, in advance!

I Might be Wrong said...

t...I agree that yes when I lived with a turned back it felt like his back was turned as well. I do remember at times reaching out to him in despair but never in graditute. I know today feeling his back was turned was more about not getting my way and where I was not where He was. I think that maybe, if I found myself in a roman jail after what they had done to Jesus, I might have written it the same way. If I do not turn my back on Him, He will not turn His back on me. Is it possible that this-"If we die with him, we'll live with him;If we stick it out with him,we'll rule with him;If we turn our backs on him, he'll turn his back on us; If we give up on him, he does not give up—
for there's no way he can be false to himself"- was more of an affirmation for Him than a gift to Timothy and those who read it?

a.'nanny'mouse..Keep Soaring Girl...I work to try and keep my questions from affecting my ability to soar, sometime this eagles head gets in the way of his wings. God Bless

Anonymous said...

writing G-d? a personal quirk, a tradition from the past, like a reminder [a string around the finger] for me not to take the Lord's NAME in vain. an extension of what is known as the 'Tetragrammaton', (yod he [hay] vav he [hay] or YHWH which is a consonantal transliteration of THE NAME. learned from a long ago friend whose faith was a constant challenge to my shallowness. again, a reminder for me, myself...a.'nanny'mouse. keep soaring? sometimes we soar, sometimes we float on the wind-we are all children learning to fly under the protection of His wings.

Anonymous said...

Cool. Thanks for explaining!

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms