Day 128 - Loving Within The Pegs

Scripture focus: Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting. Love never fails. 1 Corinthians 13:7-8 Contemporary English Version

"I'm sorry you feel this way," Cathy said to Frank through her tears. "But something has to change; our way isn't working. You refuse to change. Our son appears to be incapable of change. I have to move toward a solution. I want to tell you how I've processed through our issues, and why I'm leaving. I'm not asking for you to agree; I'm not inviting you to give me feedback. My only objective here is to share my thoughts with you. I hope that over time, this will make sense to you. I'm trying to live my life within the pegs that God has set before me."

"Pegs? What the heck are you talking about? God hates divorce! God wants us to love our children! Are you trying to blame this crazy decision of yours on God?"

"No, Frank. I'm finished with blaming others, even God. I'm trying to step as God speaks. And God has told us to love him, love others, and love ourselves. I haven't done a decent job of that in years. I'm trying to find my way back to him, and I hope that eventually leads me back to you. I want our family restored. But I can't pretend any longer that what we're doing is restorative. We're coming apart at the seams. Something has got to change. I love you. But we have violated God's principles of loving, and although I can't compel you to change, I believe I have a responsibility to live my life differently. I want to ask you to listen to me. I want to try to explain my rationale to you. If you don't want to listen, that's ok. I'll respect your decision. But unless you listen to me, I see no reason to continue this pattern of you screaming at me. So what's it going to be - listen, or I'll leave and we can have this conversation at a later date."

Frank chooses wisely; he sits down and shuts up. For the first time in a long, long time, Frank listens. Slowly, calmly, his wife begins to share with Frank the meaning of the words she learned in her codependency support group, and the parameters of those pegs she's trying to ski within.

"Teacher, which command in God's Law is the most important?"

Jesus said, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them." Matthew 22:36-40 The Message

To be continued. While waiting, please consider how you're doing in the fine art of loving God, others and self.
Recommmended reading: 1 Samuel 1 and 2 in the morning; John 6 in the evening

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms