Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 148 - A New View
Scripture focus: Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs. For I, the Lord, love justice; I hate robbery and iniquity. In my faithfulness I will reward them and make an everlasting covenant with them. Isaiah 61:7-8 NIV

One of our NorthStar Community friends is back out on the streets. His discouragement was palatable one recent Sunday morning as he beseeched me to tell him something that might make a difference in his life choices. The questions reeked of shame and disgrace. My friend currently wakes up on a street corners and spends his day doing whatever it takes to get his drug of choice - even if it involves robbery and iniquity (if he's still alive). I so wish my friend had a new view of his life.

I've had meetings downtown a couple of times this week. As I ride down the streets, my eyes search the alleys and street corners. I am looking for my pal. I ask God to put him in my path. I wonder what my friend would think about my moment-by-moment prayer vigil on his behalf. In his shame and disgrace, I suspect he might conclude that if he got in my path, I might run him over with my car as divine retribution for his shameful behavior, his disgraceful choices, and his many moments of iniquity, piling up one on top of another.


I have a different perspective. I want him in my path so that I can bestow a blessing upon him. If I had the opportunity, I'd tell him that last week our service wasn't the same without him. He's more willing to share his suffering in public than most. And his honesty refreshes us. We're "less" when he is absent.

My friend isn't a good guy because he behaves well. My friend is a child of God, and it is that truth that puts him in the chow line of double portions, inheritances, and everlasting joy. My friend will never experience peace until he realizes that the gift of peace has no strings attached. He doesn't have to get his act together in order for God to love him. God loves him because God has his act together. This kind of understanding will require a moment of clarity - a divine intervention by the living God. So although my buddy hasn't crossed my path this week, I'm praying God will cross his. In the meantime, we wait with hope. And we wonder - this guy so wants to be free. What's holding up the miracle? Unless and until we realize that God wants us in his path - not to run us down, but to bestow a blessing - we'll follow our friend down the path of shame. People who expect to get run down when they act up stay stuck.

Lord, help us have the courage to walk this path by giving us a new view of you - our Savior and Lord - one who came to seek and to save those who are lost.

Our friend is lost to us today. May we continue to hope, heal, and prepare for his return. When he comes home to his little community, we need to be prepared to continue the risky business of loving him like God does. Could it be that learning how to love like God is the double portion of blessing - the everlasting joy - the best inheritance of all? Jesus once commented that the poor will always be with us. I suppose he would say the same thing about the homeless, hopeless and helpless among us today. His commentary was not a sad statement of the world's condition - it was more a preamble to his greatest commandment - love others well. So although you and I may never cure the ills of this world, we must become a people who love in response to suffering.

Recommended reading: 2 Samuel 9 and 10 in the morning; John 15 in the evening








Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to blog645.nscblog@blogger.com, by info@northstarcommunity.com
Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
NorthStar Community | 2531 Buford Road | Richmond | VA | 23235

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms